- Maps in Science Fiction
The New York Review of Science Fiction 356 (Feb 2022)
- Celebrating Christopher Tolkien’s Cartographic Legacy
Tor.com, 22 Jan 2020
- Where Do Fantasy Maps Come From?
Tor.com, 23 Sep 2019
- An Exercise in Telling: Sylvain Neuvel’s Themis Files
AE, 10 Jul 2019
- Fantasy Maps Don’t Belong in the Hands of Fantasy Characters
Tor.com, 28 May 2019
- What Does a Fantasy Map Look Like?
Tor.com, 19 Mar 2019
- A Literary Love Letter to Maps: The Writer’s Map
Tor.com, 26 Nov 2018
- The Dúnedain and the Deep Blue Sea: On Númenórean Navigation
Tor.com, 7 Nov 2018
- God and the Machines: The Short Fiction of Peter Watts
AE, 25 May 2015
- Here Be Blank Spaces: Vaguely Medieval Fantasy Maps
The New York Review of Science Fiction 300 (Aug 2013)
- How Snake Keepers Should React to the Python Tragedy
The Ottawa Citizen, 8 Aug 2013
Untitled Book Reviews
- Undiscovered Territories by Robert Freeman Wexler. Strange Horizons, 25 Mar 2022.
- Burning Girls and Other Stories by Veronica Schanoes. Strange Horizons, 12 Jan 2022.
- Rabbit Island by Elvira Navarro. Strange Horizons, 26 Jul 2021.
- Driftwood by Marie Brennan. Strange Horizons, 8 Feb 2021.
- Instances of Head-Switching by Teresa Milbrodt. Strange Horizons, 3 Jun 2020.
- Star Maps: History, Artistry, and Cartography by Nick Kanas. Calafia, Mar 2020.
- Necessity by Jo Walton. AE, 23 Aug 2016.
- Company Town by Madeline Ashby. AE, 6 Jun 2016.
- Quantum Night by Robert J. Sawyer. AE, 14 Mar 2016.
- Echopraxia by Peter Watts. AE, 14 Dec 2015.
- Falling in Love with Hominids by Nalo Hopkinson. AE, 28 Sep 2015.
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. AE, 17 Aug 2015.
- The Just City and The Philosopher Kings by Jo Walton. AE, 20 Jul 2015.
- My Real Children by Jo Walton. AE, 27 Apr 2015.
- Elements by Suzanne Church. AE, 23 Mar 2015.
- Irregular Verbs and Other Stories by Matthew Johnson. AE, 26 Jan 2015.
- A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki. AE, 24 Nov 2014.